SAO PAULO (AP) — An apparent mistake by the fourth official forced Neymar off the field during Santos’ 3-0 home loss to Coritiba in a Brazilian league match on Sunday, the last chance for the star striker to impress before Brazil’s World Cup squad is announced. The 34-year-old Neymar, who has struggled to be fit since he tore his ACL in October 2023, has tried for more than a year to show Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti he deserves a place in the squad.The incident took place in the 65th minute, when Coritiba was already leading 3-0 and Neymar, whose form has improved in recent weeks, was having a quiet match for relegation-threatened Santos. Neymar was on the field having his right calf sprayed by a doctor when the referee told him to go to the sidelines, where the treatment continued. In a matter of seconds, the fourth official raised the substitution board which indicated that No. 10 — Neymar — would be leaving for Robinho Jr., who immediately stepped onto the pitch.

“I knew Robinho was coming in, but I wasn’t even watching it,” Neymar said. “I didn’t know I had been substituted, I had not seen the board. It was a very serious mistake by the officials, by the fellow who puts the numbers on the board.”