The group watched helplessly as a man was mauled by a four-metre white shark whilst spearfishing off Rottnest Island near PerthAnnette Belcher21:44, 16 May 2026Updated 21:57, 16 May 2026A man has suffered 'critical injuries' after he was attacked by a shark in Australia. Friends watched helplessly as the victim was mauled by a four-metre white shark.The horrific event happened while the victim was spearfishing off Rottnest Island near Perth, Western Australia.The 38-year-old was pulled from the water and raced back to shore but could not be saved, Nine News reports."His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event," Sergeant Michael Wear said.Police said the man had been bitten on the lower part of both legs. The man's friends lifted him onto their boat and gave him CPR as they raced him to shore.He was rushed to a jetty at Geordie Bay , where emergency services worked on him for about half an hour, but he could not be saved."Certainly quite horrific scenes for all involved and all emergency services that were there did a fantastic job," Wear said.Surf Life Saving WA said on social media that a five-metre white shark had been seen about 80 metres offshore this morning.Residents and tourists were left shocked by the news of the man's death.Witness Jarrad Young told 9News onlookers hoped the man would be OK.Boyd Fraser said the man's death was a "terrible tragedy"."I've been surfing for over 50 years and I've seen a lot of sharks and I couldn't think of anything worse, so I just walked here to pay my respects to him and his family," Fraser said.Shark patrols have been taking place and people are being told to avoid the area.Rottnest Island is a popular tourist destination off the Perth coast and can be reached by ferry .The area is a protected nature reserve known for its quokka population, white sand beaches and secluded coves.The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has been notified of the incident.Earlier today a spokesperson for DPIRD said the department was working with local authorities.There have been several shark attacks reported in Australia this year.Andre de Ruyter, 27, was one of several victims attacked by sharks over the course of 48 hours in NSW in January.He lost a leg in the attack on Sydney's Northern Beaches.Nico Antic was first to be attacked by a suspected bull shark after jumping off rocks at Neilson Park, near Shark Beach, in Vaucluse on January 18.The 12-year-old junior lifesaver later died in hospital.Also, 39-year-old Paul Zvirzdinas received minor injuries after his board and wetsuit were bitten by a shark at Point Plomer near Port Macquarie.An 11-year-old boy had a lucky escape at Dee Why Beach after a shark bit his board but otherwise left him unscathed.Article continues belowThe attacks were attributed to previous wild weather considered a "once-in-a-500-year event", which created the perfect environment for bull sharks to lurk in coastal waters around Sydney and wider NSW.Last month 16-year-old surfer Oliver Tokic-Bensley had a close call with a shark in South Australia.
Horror as friends witness man being mauled by four-metre white shark
The group watched helplessly as a man was mauled by a four-metre white shark whilst spearfishing off Rottnest Island near Perth











