After spending 24 hours in Trinidad, a jet aircraft and its crew of eight Ukrainians were cleared to depart Piarco International Airport after they initially failed to declare that explosives were on board.The aircraft—an Antonov An-12BP—landed in Trinidad on Thursday just after 6 p.m. carrying industrial explosives while en route to Libya.The Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago, shortly before 7 p.m. yesterday, explained that the Ukrainian aircraft, Flight No CVK-7078, arrived in Trinidad from the Bahamas on Thursday for a refuelling stop.
The aircraft was en route to Cape Verde, with a final destination of Libya.The Authority stated that upon the aircraft’s arrival, officers of the Immigration Division discovered that the aircraft was transporting explosives which had not been declared in accordance with established international aviation and security protocols.“As a result, the aircraft and its Ukrainian crew were detained pending investigations by several national and international security and law enforcement agencies,” stated the release.
‘NO THREAT’: Minister of Homeland Security Roger Alexander speaks in the House yesterday.
It noted that these agencies included the Customs and Excise Division, Airports Authority Police Force, Special Branch, AIRCOP, United States Border Investigators and other national security stakeholders.The Authority stated that the coordinated investigation sought to determine whether all required procedures and regulatory obligations had been adhered to in relation to the transportation and declaration of the cargo.It stated that clearance was granted for the aircraft to depart following enquiries.The Airports Authority stated: “Following extensive enquiries and assessments conducted by the relevant authorities, it was determined that no liability should be attributed to the pilot or crew. Consequently, authorisation was granted and the aircraft and crew were cleared to depart Trinidad and Tobago.”The Express understands that the aircraft arrived at the Piarco South Terminal.The aircraft crew provided general declarations to the ground handling agent indicating that they were making a technical stop, which is when an aircraft lands briefly for operational reasons rather than to begin or end a passenger or cargo journey.For planes, a tech stop can include refuelling, crew changes, maintenance checks and loading supplies.However, concerns were raised after the crew listed their cargo as “nil” on documents, prompting the Immigration officer on site to alert Customs officials.Security measures implementedThis resulted in detailed checks of the information, during which officials discovered that the aircraft contained 7,656 kilograms of explosives labelled as “Oilwell explosives” followed by the alphanumeric code UN0440, a designation for dangerous goods.Documents on the aircraft stated that the cargo originated from Houston with a final destination of Libya.At yesterday’s sitting of Parliament, Minister of Homeland Security Roger Alexander said there was no threat as he disclosed that the aircraft transporting several tonnes of prohibited dangerous items had been impounded and the crew detained.The minister responded to an urgent question from Opposition MP Marvin Gonzales, who asked what security measures had been implemented at Piarco Airport to ensure the safety and security of staff and members of the public following reports that the aircraft transporting explosives had landed at the airport.Alexander said that shortly after 6 p.m. on Thursday, an aircraft carrying “several tonnes of prohibited dangerous” items landed at Piarco Airport and was “immediately impounded”.He said the Police Service, intelligence agencies and the Ministry of Defence had conducted investigations.In a supplemental question, Gonzales asked Alexander if there were any immediate threats to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago in light of the actions taken by law enforcement officials.Alexander said the situation was being addressed and remained under control.The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) earlier yesterday issued a statement advising that the “security-related matter” involving a cargo aircraft at the airport was engaging the attention of State security agencies.“In keeping with the heightened security posture under the ongoing State of Emergency, routine checks identified irregularities requiring immediate precautionary action. The aircraft was secured, the crew accounted for, and all relevant national security units activated in accordance with established protocols,” the TTPS stated.The TTPS assured that at no time was there any threat to the travelling public, airport operations or the wider national community.“The situation remained calm, controlled, and professionally managed,” the release stated, adding that it could not divulge details in light of intelligence assessments and international security obligations.The TTPS also assured the public that all necessary measures were being taken to safeguard Trinidad and Tobago.







