The 2026 FIFA World Cup kicks off in June — and HuffPost will be live-blogging every twist, turn and controversy from the buildup through the final of what’s widely shaping up to be the most political soccer tournament of all time.From the action on the pitch to the potential chaos off it, the storylines are already piling up: Iran’s possible non-participation amid Donald Trump’s war, the president’s close relationship with FIFA’s Peace Prize-awarding President Gianni Infantino, and simmering tensions between the U.S. and fellow host nations Mexico and Canada fueled by Trump’s tariffs and divisive rhetoric.Trump’s travel bans could keep some fans out, there’s been fury over soaring ticket prices, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents could be present at games as the Trump administration continues its anti-immigration crackdown.Not to mention extreme heat concerns that scorched all those involved the last time the U.S. hosted the tournament some 32 years ago, in 1994.And that’s all before a ball has been kicked.U.S. President Donald Trump received the FIFA Peace Prize from FIFA President Gianni Infantino in December.Andrew Harnik via Getty ImagesOn the field, the men’s national teams from 48 countries will compete in a record 104 matches across the three host nations in what will be the biggest World Cup in history.Mexico will take on South Africa at the iconic Mexico City Stadium in the opening game on June 11. The U.S. will play Paraguay in Los Angeles on June 12, Australia in Seattle on June 19 and Turkey back in Los Angeles on June 25, in the group games, before potentially competing in the later knockout rounds.The final will be held on July 19 at MetLife Stadium, which is being temporarily rebranded as the New York/New Jersey Stadium for the competition.Current European champions Spain are favorites to lift the trophy. Defending champions Argentina, of Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi fame, along with France, England and Brazil, are also expected to be in the mix.Check out the full games schedule on the FIFA website.Follow along with our coverage below:LIV Golf’s Louisiana Event Postponed Amid World Cup Concerns. State Seeks $1.2 Million Back.The LIV Golf event scheduled to be played in Louisiana in June has been postponed, state officials said on Tuesday.News of the postponement comes less than two weeks after LIV Golf CEO Scott O'Neil said the breakaway circuit's 2026 season would proceed as planned amid reports that the series was at risk of losing its funding.The announcement comes a day after sources with knowledge of LIV Golf operations told Reuters the event may be postponed due to concerns the soccer World Cup could impact attendances and viewership, while issues such as high temperatures and course condition were also factors.Governor Jeff Landry and Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Susan Bourgeois said in a joint statement that the state had already paid $3.2 million under its contract with LIV Golf, of which $2 million has already been invested in upgrades for the Bayou Oaks at City Park course that was scheduled to host the event from June 25-28.They also said the Saudi-funded circuit was expected to return the remaining $1.2 million in state incentive funds."We appreciate LIV’s good-faith efforts and look forward to maintaining our partnership as we continue conversations around an event later this year," Landry and Bourgeois said.According to the statement, Bourgeois spoke with O’Neil last Friday and was informed the organisation was looking to postpone the New Orleans tournament to explore a potential event this fall.In a separate statement, LIV Golf said it was a "strategic" decision to explore moving the event to later in the year."This shift allows us to avoid the peak summer heat and the crowded global sports calendar while ensuring the course is in the championship condition our fans and players expect," said LIV Golf."We are grateful for the continued partnership and flexibility of the state of Louisiana as we work together to deliver a world-class debut this fall."Our team is focused on maintaining the strong momentum of the 2026 season and we look forward to sharing finalized dates in the near future."See All UpdatesClose
LIV Golf’s Louisiana Event Postponed Amid World Cup Concerns. State Seeks $1.2 Million Back.
Follow along for the latest news ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
678 words~3 min read






