Force says it is ‘confident there was no offence’ and condemns ‘shameful’ behaviour by protesters
The investigation into reports of a rape outside a church in Epsom that led to widespread public disorder will close as police are “confident there was no offence”.
Surrey police received a report on Saturday 11 April that a woman had been raped near a church in the early hours of the morning after leaving Labyrinth nightclub in Epsom.
There was public anger the force had not released the ethnicity of any suspects, leading to protests in the town.
In an update on Thursday, the force said after a “thorough investigation” it became clear the woman in her 20s suffered an accidental head injury after a night out, leading her to make a confused report.






