ToplineA near-billionaire Democratic donor to Rep. Eric Swalwell’s now-suspended campaign for California governor says he spent more than $1 million supporting Swalwell—and suggested he may seek legal action to have his funds refunded after Swalwell ended his bid following sexual assault allegations. Swalwell, who has denied allegations of sexual assault, said he would step down from the House. Getty ImagesKey FactsStephen Cloobeck, a former timeshare resort executive, told the New York Post on Tuesday he would no longer support Swalwell or the Democratic Party, saying, “I’m a libertarian now.”Cloobeck, a former California gubernatorial candidate who ended his campaign in November and backed Swalwell, indicated he gave $1 million to support Swalwell through a super PAC, adding he would speak with his legal counsel to discuss having the donations returned.After exiting the California governor race last year, Cloobeck donated $39,200 to Swalwell, the maximum contribution allowed in a California gubernatorial race, according to state records.Earlier this year, Cloobeck told Politico he spent roughly $7 million on policy research for his own campaign, suggesting Swalwell had “all my research, everything,” after Cloobeck dropped from the race.Crucial Quote“F— you, Democrat Party. I’m a libertarian now,” Cloobeck told the Post, saying he wouldn’t support the party anymore. “I am done. Finito.”Eric Swalwell’s ‘little Brother’ Relationship With Stephen CloobeckCloobeck and Swalwell are longtime friends, he told Politico, referring to Swalwell as a “little brother.” On several occasions, Swalwell has also stayed at Cloobeck’s home in Malibu, where Swalwell filmed several campaign videos, Cloobeck said. Swalwell filmed a video last week denying sexual assault allegations while inside Cloobeck’s home, according to Cloobeck, who told the New York Post he later demanded that Swalwell leave the property. Cloobeck previously donated to Swalwell’s congressional campaigns, totaling $23,400 since 2017, and his last contributions came in 2023 through a pair of $3,300 donations, Federal Election Commission data shows. Swalwell disclosed last year that Cloobeck gifted him private air transportation from Burbank, California, to Nice, France, valued at $30,903.What We Know About Cloobeck’s Fiancée Facing Criminal ChargesThe Los Angeles District Attorney’s office announced in March that Adva Lavie, Cloobeck’s fiancée, was accused of stealing from the homes of people she met through online dating apps. Lavie pleaded not guilty to two counts of grand theft, one count of first-degree residential burglary with a person present, one count of first-degree residential burglary and two counts of unauthorized use of personal identifying information. Prosecutors allege Lavie, also known as Mia Ventura, relied on dating apps to steal from wealthy older men and women in neighborhoods in and around Los Angeles, including West Hollywood, Westlake Village and Beverly Hills. Lavie allegedly stole cash, gold and high-end designer items from their homes. She faces up to 11 years in prison if convicted on all counts, prosecutors said.Forbes ValuationCloobeck describes himself as a billionaire—but is not one, according to Forbes calculations, which shows him with a net worth of nearly $750 million. Most of his fortune comes from stock sales after his timeshare resort firm, Diamond Resorts International, was sold to Apollo Global in 2016 for $2.2 billion, as well as property valued at nearly $55 million. Cloobeck has donated to several groups supporting Democratic candidates in recent years, including Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and Arizona Sen. Ruben Gallego, among others. Key BackgroundSwalwell said Tuesday he would resign from the House after a former staffer accused him of sexually assaulting her in 2024. CNN reported claims from four women who accused Swalwell of sexual misconduct, including allegations he sent unsolicited nude images and explicit messages. Swalwell denied the claims, calling them “absolutely false,” and said he would “fight them with everything that I have.” The Manhattan District Attorney’s office announced over the weekend an investigation into the former staffer’s claim, urging “survivors and anyone with knowledge of these allegations” to contact them. The House Ethics Committee said it would also investigate the claims.Further ReadingsForbesTony Gonzales And Eric Swalwell Will Resign From Congress Amid Sexual Misconduct AllegationsBy Antonio Pequeño IV
California Donor Stephen Cloobeck Cuts Ties With Eric Swalwell—And Threatens To Sue
Swalwell, who has denied allegations of sexual assault, said he would step down from the House.










