Hamas said Monday that Israel’s recovery of the last hostage’s remains from Gaza demonstrates its commitment to the U.S.-brokered cease-fire, as Israel confirmed the return of the body and prepared for the next, more difficult phase of the agreement.
"The discovery of the body of the last Israeli prisoner in Gaza confirms Hamas's commitment to all the requirements of the cease-fire agreement on the Gaza Strip, including the prisoner exchange process and its complete closure as stipulated in the agreement," Hazem Qassem said in a statement.
Israel's military announced on Monday that it had identified the remains of Ran Gvili, a policeman killed during Hamas's October 2023 attack, and had returned them to Israel.
The most likely next step would be the reopening of Gaza’s border with Egypt, enabling Palestinians to move in both directions and for more aid to enter the territory devastated by two years of war. The cease-fire also calls for the deployment of an international security force, disarming Hamas, a further pullback by Israeli soldiers and the reconstruction of Gaza.
The announcement that the remains of police officer Ran Gvili had been found and identified came a day after Israel’s government said the military was conducting a "large-scale operation” in a cemetery in northern Gaza.








