Israelis and Palestinians celebrated Thursday after a cease-fire and hostage deal was announced as part of the first phase of President Donald Trump’s plan to end Israel's genocidal war on Gaza.

Both sides publicly endorsed the deal and had been expected to sign it around noon in the Egyptian beach resort of Sharm el-Sheikh (9 a.m. GMT), though there was no immediate official confirmation that the signing had taken place.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said the cease-fire would take effect once ratified by the Israeli government, which would convene after a security cabinet meeting scheduled for 5 p.m.

Israel's hostage coordinator, Gal Hirsch, said the list of the Palestinian prisoners to be freed was still being worked out.

Residents in Gaza reported a series of air strikes on Gaza City around the time it was due to be signed.