Philippines’ Cebu records more than 9,000 aftershocks following powerful earthquake

MANILA: More than 9,000 aftershocks have rattled Cebu since a deadly earthquake last week, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said on Wednesday.

At least 72 people were killed and 500 injured on Sept. 30, when the central Philippine province was jolted by the magnitude 6.9 quake — the most powerful to strike the region in more than a decade.

The quake’s epicenter was in Bogo City and most of the casualties were in its neighborhood, but strong tremors and damage were also recorded in the provincial capital, Cebu City, some 100 km away.

“As of 6 a.m., we have recorded 9,037. The strongest so far is the October 3 aftershock, which was magnitude 5.1,” PHIVOLCS director Dr. Teresito Bacolcol told the local Dobol B TV.