The appeal trial of a man convicted of raping Gisele Pelicot has heard shocking details of how he abused the sedated Frenchwoman for more than three hours despite her flinching in pain.Husamettin Dogan, the only man appealing his conviction for the sexual abuse of Pelicot, was 'fully aware' that she was asleep during the assault, an investigator told the court on Tuesday. Dogan, 44, was one of 50 men found guilty in December of taking part in the abuse orchestrated by Pelicot's ex-husband, Dominique Pelicot, who invited strangers he found online to assault his drugged wife and filmed the attacks.He was sentenced to nine years in prison but now claims he is not a 'rapist', arguing he believed he was participating in a libertine couple's sexual game. Investigator Jeremie Bosse-Platiere dismissed that claim, citing explicit video footage recorded by Dominique Pelicot himself.'I have no doubt that he was fully aware of the victim's condition,' Bosse-Platiere told the court in the southern city of Nimes. 'Anyone who sees the videos understands this immediately.'The footage, retrieved from Pelicot's home, shows Dogan penetrating an unresponsive Gisele Pelicot and attempting to force her to perform oral sex. But Gisele Pelicot was then seen moving slightly, causing Dogan to immediately withdraw. 'We understand that he is worried that his victim might wake up and freezes in a waiting position,' said Bosse-Platiere. 'After 30 seconds, seeing that it was a reflex caused by pain or discomfort, he reintroduces his penis into her vagina.'Gisele Pelicot arrives for the appeal trial in the Mazan rape case at the Nimes courthouse, southern France, in Nimes on October 7Husamettin Dogan, the only man appealing his conviction for the sexual abuse of Pelicot, was 'fully aware' that she was asleep during the assault, an investigator told the court on TuesdayDominique Pelicot, 72, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for raping and organising the mass rape of his wife'It is clear that the two men are acting very cautiously and meticulously so as not to make any noise,' the investigator said.Dogan had visited the couple's home in Mazan, southern France, in June 2019, claiming he only realised something was wrong when he heard Gisele snoring.But investigators say the footage shows he remained there for 'at least three-hours-and-24-minutes', far longer than the half-hour he claims.Police discovered 107 photos and 14 videos from that night, meticulously recorded by Dominique Pelicot, who remains in solitary confinement.While Bosse-Platiere admitted that Dominique Pelicot might have been 'a little bossy', he said there was 'no physical coercion, no threat that is supported by the videos.'Dogan maintains he was pressured to continue the abuse.Dominique Pelicot was due to be brought from prison for cross-examination later on Tuesday afternoon.The appeal hearing is expected to last up to four days.Dogan's defence team earlier said he plans to appeal against both his criminal responsibility and the sentence during the trial.'He maintains that he never went to the couple's home with the intention of raping anyone,' one of his lawyers, Jean-Marc Darrigade, said. 'He is deeply affected by the fact that he could be labelled as a rapist.' Dogan's fight is not with the main plaintiff, Gisele Pelicot, whom he 'respects deeply', Darrigade said. Instead, it is with 'the cynical man who trapped him'. The Turkish man, who has arthritis and appeared at the first trial using a walking stick, is technically still a free man as his appeal has put his prison sentence on hold.Painter and decorator Husamettin Dogan, 44, at the court yesterday. He was sentenced to nine years in prison last year for raping Pelicot after her then husband, Dominique Pelicot, invited him via an online chatroom to abuse her while she was unconscious Gisele Pelicot surrounded by French police as she leaves the courthouse in Nimes'I'm not a rapist,' the construction worker said during the first trial. 'This is too much for me to bear. He's her husband. I never thought that guy could do this to his wife.'During the first trial, he was at first not prepared to accept the charges against him.He said Dominique Pelicot sent him a message saying he was part of a sexually adventurous couple and they were seeking someone to take part in sex while his wife 'pretended to sleep'.He says he received a message, supposedly from Gisele Pelicot, saying she agreed to him coming over. Dogan then headed over to their home in the small southern town of Mazan that same evening, where he was led into the main bedroom. 'I started foreplay, I saw she didn't react. I said, 'She's dead, your wife.' (Dominique Pelicot) said, 'No, you're imagining it.' He penetrated her and she lifted up her head a little,' he said.Dogan said they continued for at least half an hour, until he clearly heard Gisele Pelicot snoring. He then decided to leave, he said.Reminded by one of the judges of the definition of rape – an act committed 'through violence, constraint, threat or surprise' – he initially conceded.'I admit it was rape,' he said.But at the end of the trial in the southern town of Avignon, Dogan again said he was not a rapist.His lawyer said the appeal hearing would give his client more time to present his case.'They found that Mrs Pelicot was being controlled' by her then husband, he said. 'Can't we also conceive something similar for the few minutes during which Dogan faced this exceptionally perverse man who mastered all tricks of persuasion?'I don't think it's offensive to discuss it a second time,' said Darrigade. Gisele Pelicot accompanied by her son Florian Pelicot leaves the Gard criminal courtInitially, 17 of the 51 convicted men said they would appeal against the verdict, but 16 gradually dropped out, leaving only one appeal.Pelicot's lawyer, Antoine Camus, said she would have preferred not to face the ordeal of attending another trial but would be present at the four-day trial at Nîmes court of appeal.'She will be there to explain that a rape is a rape, that there is no such thing as a small rape,' Camus told Agence France-Presse.Dominique Pelicot was sentenced to 20 years in prison for drugging his former wife and inviting dozens of strangers to rape her while unconscious.He had had laced his wife's food and drink with tranquilisers to render her unconscious before inviting men he met online to take part in sordid rape and abuse fantasies that he acted out with them and filmed in their retirement home in the small Provence town of Mazan and elsewhere.The images and footage were only discovered when he was caught in September 2020 upskirting women at a local supermarket, with a subsequent police search of his home revealing the thousands of photos of his wife. Now serving a prison sentence in solitary confinement, Dominique Pelicot will appear as a witness at the appeal court trial. He is expected to repeat what he said at the first trial: 'I am a rapist – like everyone else in this room.'
Gisele Pelicot rapist's appeal hears shocking details of 3-hour ordeal
Husamettin Dogan, the only man appealing his conviction for the sexual abuse of Pelicot, was 'fully aware' that she was asleep during the assault, an investigator told the court on Tuesday.











