ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar said on Tuesday the country’s leadership would decide whether to contribute troops to a special peacekeeping force in Gaza proposed under US President Donald Trump’s peace plan, adding that Palestinian law enforcement agencies would operate on the ground alongside the multinational contingent.

Foreign ministers of eight Muslim countries — Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Indonesia, Turkiye, Qatar, Egypt and Jordan — have backed Trump’s 20-point Gaza peace plan, pledging constructive engagement with Washington and all parties to finalize and implement the agreement.

The plan calls for a ceasefire, an exchange of hostages and prisoners, a staged Israeli withdrawal, Hamas disarmament and Gaza’s reconstruction with international support.

Trump discussed the proposal with Muslim leaders during a meeting in New York on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly’s 80th session last week.

“Gaza peace plan envisaged deploying a peace force in Palestine,” Dar said during a media briefing.