A jealous father who violently shook his newborn baby while his partner was on a night out has been jailed for manslaughter seven years after the harrowing incident took place.Mehmet Tufan, 30, of Dovecot, Liverpool, caused 'catastrophic' brain injuries to his five-week-old son Leo Williams on April 14, 2018, after becoming increasingly 'frustrated and anxious' while his partner was out with her friends.Tufan initially feigned his innocence to doctors and paramedics after little Leo was taken to hospital, telling them that his son had fallen unresponsive due to a hair being lodged in his throat.Despite surviving the trauma of being forcefully shaken, the newborn was placed into an intensive coma for months and was left with a range of devastating disabilities once he regained consciousness.An investigation found Tufan had caused the injuries, and he was sentenced to two years in jail in June 2019 for Section 20 assault.While his father was locked up, Leo was able to recover to the point that he was allowed to go home where he was taken care of by his mother and wider family.But he tragically died in December 2022 at Claire House Hospice as a long-term result of the injuries inflicted by his father.This sparked the launch of a further probe into Tufan, who eventually admitted manslaughter. Mehmet Tufan (above) has been jailed for manslaughter after leaving his son with 'catastrophic' brain injuries by shaking himHe was seen in tears in the dock at Liverpool Crown Court today after being locked up for six-and-a-half years for causing his son's death.The court heard how Leo had been a 'healthy' baby after his birth on March 10, 2018, with Tufan's partner facing 'no difficulties or complications during his birth or pregnancy'. Five weeks after his birth, the newborn was left in Tufan's sole care at their home when his mother went out with friends for the evening.Prosecutor Andrew Haslam KC detailed how Leo was found unresponsive and with a 'catastrophic brain injury' by medics who had been called to their home by Tufan at around 2am on April 14.A series of texts exchanged between the couple in the intervening hours were said to have shown Tufan 'appearing to become increasingly frustrated with and anxious about her being out with her friends'.This also saw him message one of these friends 'asking what was going on' at around 10.30pm after seeing a Snapchat video of a 'lad asking her to dance'. Shortly after midnight, he again contacted his girlfriend stating that he was dialling 999 as Leo was 'having major fits', before sending a further text in which he claimed to have pulled a hair from within the baby's throat.At 1.40am, Tufan called the North West Ambulance Service and reported that his son was 'hiccupping, not breathing and profusely sweating'.Medics arrived at the address and found Leo on the bedroom floor with no heartbeat, though they were eventually able to resuscitate him by administering adrenaline.Tufan travelled with Leo to Alder Hey Children's Hospital, where the newborn was found to have sustained an 'an extensive brain injury, blood in his spinal cord and extensive retinal haemorrhages'.Doctors concluded that these injuries had been inflicted 'non-accidentally, mostly likely due to being shaken with considerable force'. Leo Williams (above) tragically died as a long-term result of the injuries inflicted by Tufan in December 2022When questioned by police at around 3.30am, the dad claimed Leo had 'started making gurgling noises' and repeated his account of having removed a hair from his son's throat.Tufan then recalled 'starting to panic and cry' when the baby stopped breathing. Later that morning, he confessed having 'shaken Leo for about a minute while telling him to breathe' before 'throwing him onto the bed so he could call an ambulance'. He added that 'it was his fault' and said that he had 'tried to help his son, but had hurt him instead'.When interviewed on May 8, he told detectives that he had been 'upset about the lad who approached [his partner] in the bar' and said: 'Once I start worrying, I can't really control it.'Leo's mum said in her Victim Personal Statement that her life will never be the same without Leo'.She added: 'My world completely shattered that day. Even to this day, everything still feels like a blur. I can't process or comprehend the devastation and trauma that Mehmet caused.'Leo was just five weeks old when you attacked him. I want you to know how Leo struggled. I need you to know how he was left to live after that night. I lived every single day caring for Leo making him as comfortable and as loved as he possibly could be. It was incredibly painful for me and my family to see Leo in so much pain and suffering and knowing I could not take that pain way from him.'Detective Sergeant David Bruce said: 'This is a truly tragic case that resulted in the loss of a courageous young boy.'He added: 'It's heart-breaking that Leo passed away at such a young age when he had his whole life ahead of him. Our thoughts remain with his family as they continue to grieve this unimaginable loss.'
Man who shook baby while mum was on night out jailed for manslaughter
Mehmet Tufan caused 'catastrophic' brain injuries to his five-week-old son Leo Williams on April 14, 2018, after becoming increasingly 'frustrated and anxious' while his partner was on a night out.






