Volodymyr Zelenskyy has again urged the international community to act decisively to cut off Russia’s energy revenues that fund its Ukraine war after Moscow carried out one of its worst attacks on Kyiv of the war. “The time for decisive action is long overdue, and we count on a strong response from the United States, Europe, the G7 and the G20,” the Ukrainian president said on Telegram. While the United Nations was holding general assembly sessions, Russia had “literally used every day, every hour, to strike at Ukraine”, he said in his nightly video address. Ukraine has so far failed to convince US president Donald Trump to impose punitive sanctions on Moscow.

The onslaught on Kyiv and other parts of Ukraine killed at least four people in what Zelenskyy called a described as a “vile and cowardly” attack, Luke Harding reports. Russia launched nearly 600 drones and more than 40 cruise missiles in a bombardment that lasted more than 12 hours over Saturday night and into Sunday morning. The main targets were the Ukrainian capital and the regions of Zaporizhzhia, Khmelnytskyi, Sumy, Mykolaiv, Chernihiv and Odesa.

Map of Russian strikes on Ukraine

The Ukrainian president noted the bombardments came at the close of UN general assembly week in New York, during which Donald Trump expressed support for Kyiv. A missile wiped out most of a street in Kyiv’s Petropavlivska Borshchahivka district, while a falling concrete slab killed a 12-year-old girl. Two of the other deaths occurred at a cardiology clinic in the capital. Across Ukraine 67 people were reported wounded, according to local authorities. Zelenskyy described the attack on the south-eastern city of Zaporizhzhia as “extraordinarily fierce”, with nearly 40 injured, while footage on social media showed several buildings badly damaged and on fire.