Two months after the Delhi Police wrongfully deported six people from West Bengal’s Birbhum district on suspicion of being Bangladeshi nationals, the Calcutta High Court on Friday (September 26, 2025) has ordered their repatriation within four weeks.Speaking to The Hindu, Bhodu Sheikh, father of Sunali Khatun said that he is now relieved that the court has ordered the Government of India to bring his pregnant daughter, her husband and son back to India. “My daughter is 8 months pregnant and at a time when she needs her family, the Indian Government pushed her to Bangladesh where she has nobody, we don’t even know her whereabouts and what are her health conditions,” said Mr. Sheikh.Ms. Khatun, her husband Danish Sheikh and their minor son Sabir Sheik were picked up from Rohini sector 26’s Bengali Basti by the K.N. Katju marg police and later deported by the FRRO, Delhi on June 26. The family had moved to the Capital on May 5 for work, and had started working as waste pickers, shortly after which they were picked up by the Delhi police under the suspicion of being Bangladeshi nationals, Mr. Sheikh had earlier told The Hindu.Along with the family of three, another family — Sweety Bibi, her husband Kurban Sheikh and their son were also picked by the police and later deported. Speaking to The Hindu, Ms. Bibi’s mother Anjela Bibi, said that she will only feel relief once she sees her daughter and her family. “As a woman with frailing health, I have no reach and access to those with power, for the past two months I have only felt helpless and a deep sense of anger towards the country, what do you mean my daughter and her family are not Indians,” she exclaimed .Following the deportation, the two families had written to the Delhi Police inquiring about their kins, following which they moved to the court seeking justice.Earlier, DCP (Rohini) Rajeev Ranjan had said that the two families were deported after thorough interrogation by the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). “They told us that they hailed from Bagerhat, Bangladesh,” said the DCP.However, the Calcutta High Court on Friday (September 26) raised concerns over the “process and procedure adopted in the deportation”. “The process and procedure adopted in the deportation raise a suspicion that the concerned authorities, while acting in hot haste, have clearly violated the provisions of the memo dated May 2, 2025,” the court observed. Published - September 27, 2025 12:33 pm IST
Kin of ‘wrongfully’ deported Bengali families breathe sigh of relief after Calcutta HC orders repatriation
Calcutta High Court orders repatriation of wrongfully deported families from Delhi to West Bengal within four weeks.






