Venture capital firm Insight Partners has notified thousands of people, including the firm’s limited partners, that their personal information was stolen by hackers in an earlier data breach.

In a statement on September 4, the VC giant said it completed its review earlier in August following its data breach, which it described as a “social engineering attack” without further explanation.

The venture firm has now said in a formal data breach notification filed with California’s attorney general this week that the hackers broke in during mid-October 2024 to the company’s human resources system. It said the hackers exfiltrated data from Insight’s servers and began encrypting the systems on January 16, 2025, a hallmark of a ransomware attack.

Insight separately also told the Maine attorney general this week in an official notice that the ransomware attack affects more than 12,600 people.

Neither of the data breach notification letters disclosed what specific personal data was taken from Insight’s systems.