HERMISILLO, Mexico: A judge in Mexico said boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will stand trial over alleged cartel ties and arms trafficking but could await that trial outside of detention, the boxer’s lawyer said.
For the latest updates, follow us @ArabNewsSport
Chavez’s lawyer, Ruben Fernando Benitez Alvarez, confirmed that the court imposed additional measures and granted three months of further investigation into the case. He described the claims against his client as “speculation” and “urban legends” following the court hearing on Saturday in the northern Mexican city of Hermosillo.
If convicted, Chavez – who took part in the hearing virtually from a detention facility – could face a prison sentence of between four and eight years, Alvarez said.
Chavez, 39, who had been living in the United States for several years, was arrested in early July by federal agents outside his Los Angeles home for overstaying his visa and providing inaccurate details on an application to obtain a green card. The arrest came just days after a fight he had with famed American boxer Jake Paul in Los Angeles.









